This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Using your iPhone to listen to audiobooks


I have enjoyed listening to audiobooks for many years. And with each new improvement in technology, it just gets better and better. This past month I graduated from my old Classic iPod to a new iPhone. And the good news is that if you knew how to use an iPod to listen to audiobooks, you can do the same with your iPhone. All you gotta do is to treat it like an iPod. Please let me explain.

If you have audiobooks in your iTunes library, like I have, you just have to sync them to your iPhone. That's just the same as with your iPod, connect it to your computer with the USB cable, select the device, select audiobooks and sync. I chose not to sync all of my audiobooks, but to select just a few. My old iPod had just about unlimited room for stuff like that, and while sound files are very tiny, they do take up room. So keep an eye on the unused space on your iPhone and keep at least two gigs free.

Once you've synced your audiobooks to your iPhone, go to the music app and select More. There you will find your audiobooks under the category Audiobooks, which oddly enough doesn't show up at all until you've synced audiobooks. So, if you've looked for the category of audiobooks on your new iPhone, and don't see it, don't despair. It will appear after you sync your audiobooks. I have no idea why they do this kind of stuff, I'm sure there's a reason?

Since your audiobooks are files stored on your device, you don't need any kind of connection to listen to them. You can listen to an 8-hour audiobook without using up any data. You don't need a Wi-Fi connection. For those of you who do boring drives, like between Phoenix and Los Angeles, this is nice.

Excuse me, I'm going to go back to listening to an audiobook on my iPhone now. When a call comes it, the book is silenced, and when the call is over it resumes. I can also check my Facebook page, and check my emails if the book gets kind of boring.

Don't ya just love new technology! I like my new iPhone.


Brad draws custom cartoon illustrations for publications, blogs, presentations, anything you want. You can contact him at his website BradHallArt.com