This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


When to text, and when to call


If you're new to the world of texting, you may be confused as to whether you should call someone, or text them. And it all goes back to the invention of electronic communication, in the 1990s.

I was an early adaptor to electronic communication with the written word. When I started my career, phone messages were always a problem. When you came back from lunch, they were piled up on your desk. And voice mail was even worse - not only did you have to take the time to call someone back, you had to listen to them say, "uh... what color is the Blue Cross logo supposed to be? I'll be in between 2 and 3, unless my dog gets sick, in which case.... blah, blah, blah."

When electronic messaging was invented, I jumped on it. I would send a message: "Hi Bob - the correct color for the Blue Cross logo is blue, Pantone 2995". I would click send, and it was done. If I could get people to use this system, I could save a lot of time. It was called email. Of course, a lot of people refused to do it, instead wanting that "personal touch" - and wasting a huge amount of time. The real idiots apparently couldn't even use a phone, they would just show up at my desk.

So, hopefully I've answered this for you - text most of the time. You can use email if you want to, but even that is getting old fashioned, and is a hassle for many people. When someone sends me a text, I know exactly what they want - and I respond right away. If I see a missed call, and a voice mail, I know it's someone who just can't get with the program. I'll get back to them later, when I have more time. And we can talk, which is kind'a nice.


Brad draws custom cartoon illustrations for publications, blogs, presentations, anything you want. You can contact him at his website BradHallArt.com