This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should watch what you say on Facebook


I recommend to my clients to watch what they say on Facebook. Facebook, like all social media, is a public place. But really, most of my clients don't really need to watch what they say, as what they say is who they are, and that's a good thing.

If you're new to social media, take a step back. Not saying stupid stuff that could get back to you, and embarrass you, didn't start with Facebook, it started with civilization. And speaking up in public has always been a way to reinforce who you are.

So, here is what I suggest: if you're afraid to post something on Facebook, or say something, for fear that it might get back to you, then say nothing. Because no matter how many checkboxes you click for privacy, believe me, there is none.

But I am going to recommend that you do speak up. Bad things happen when good people remain silent. Social media is a public forum, and it can change the world. If you feel strongly about something, for example injustices you know about, please do speak up. There is no need to rant, but there is need for your voice to be heard.

Yes, I am in favor of freedom of speech. I live in the United States, where it's protected by an amendment to the Constitution. And no, I won't agree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.