This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to get Siri to shut up on your iPhone


I've had my iPhone for a couple of months now and I really like it. One of its most amazing features is Siri, which finds out stuff for you, just by you asking. You don't have to memorize any commands, like voice recognition used to be in the '90s. You just hold down a button, wait for a beep, and then talk to your phone as if you were talking to anyone. Ask Siri about information about a celebrity, about the location of a restaurant, anything. It's just amazing. This is a personal assistant from a dream!

And then it gets annoying. When Siri finds stuff, she tends to say goofy things like "well, here ya go!" or whatever. And it plays through the speaker of your phone. Since I'm looking at the screen, I really don't need her to say that stuff, or to start reading Wikipedia for me. I want her to shut up. So this is how you do it:

• Go to your Settings, General, Siri, Voice Feedback, select "Handsfree Only". It works. No more cheerful "this is what I've found!" shouted at you. And no, I have no idea why they can't just have a button that says "Shut up Siri" or "Silence Siri", but at least you can do it.