This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to pay for things using your iPhone


If you have an iPhone, you can use Apple Pay. It's similar to Google Wallet, I guess, but I have an iPhone, so I used ApplePay, which is built into your iPhone.

To do this, you will have to set it up on your iPhone. If you have purchased things from the iTunes store already, then you just select use the information that Apple already has. You confirm it with the credit card code, and your fingerprint.

Yeah, you gotta set up your iPhone for fingerprints. It's one of the first thing I did when I got my iPhone, so it was already there for me. If you haven't set up your iPhone to recognize your fingerprint, you should. Anyone who has my security code can get into my iPhone, but only my fingerprints operate Apple Pay.

The next step for me was finding a place that was set up to accept ApplePay. And while I'm convinced that most major retailers are here in August of 2015, the blank look that I got at my local Walmart was enough for me to smile brightly, and move on. So I went to Walgreens.

I had asked the cashier at the Walgreens on 59th Avenue and Peoria last night if they were set up for ApplePay, and he assured me that they were. So I went there this morning, which was fun as the cashier seemed to have a sense of humor about what I was doing, and even suggested a pack of gum, making my total purchase $1.23.

I have to say that it wasn't as breezy as I had imaged. The phone simply replaced swiping the card. Even though I used the fingerprint to approve, I still had to put in the security code on Walgreen's touchpad, and I still had to deal with the various questions it asks. I guess most people want this. I kind'a thought that it would just go beep, and I was done. You know, like paying with cash.

So, ultimately I really don't see much point in using a phone instead of a card. Unless, of course, you want to confound cashiers and worry that the store can't do it. Still, I'm glad I did it. I've always been interested in what the technology will be in the future, and it always starts like this: "huh?"

Update - not too terribly much later - Looks like Walmart is resisting Apple Pay as of this writing, and Walgreens is notorious for a clumsy series of questions on their terminals, so maybe it will work better than I had thought. Gonna try Target next! I'll let you know how it goes.