This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Reading books on an eReader for the elderly


If you're elderly, that is, over 40 like me, you really should take a look at a simple eReader. I've had one for years, and I just love it.

Now waitaminute, if you've seen people try to read on Smart Phones, and iPads, and computer screens, and are saying that it's just about impossible to read a book on an electronic device, believe me, I agree with you. But an eReader is about as low-tech as an Etch-a-Sketch. It doesn't have an LCD screen. It looks like paper, you can even read in daylight (that's my backyard there). And it's designed for hours of reading, not just the quick glance at your Smart Phone. It's for books that you just can't put down.

I read a lot, and I always have, ever since I was a kid. But books aren't dried ink on dead trees, they're words that communicate directly to your mind. And an eReader is as much a door to that magic world of reading to me as the first library that I ever visited as a kid.

A simple eReader, like this Nook, is very inexpensive compared to LCD devices like tablets. I got mine at Barnes and Noble. It's just black and white. No, you can't watch movies on it, or send emails. You can read books. Very comfortably. You can make the type any size you want, and the screen size works well for people like me who wear reading glasses.

I like books, I like to read, and I like my eReader. I'm grateful for this simple little piece of technology that allows people like me to continue to read, long after 39 is just a memory. There is so much more to learn! So much more to read!