This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Using the Notes app on your iPhone for a grocery list


If you have an iPhone, you have an app called "Notes". It doesn't look like much, and it isn't, but it's one my most-used apps. And mostly I use it for a grocery list.

You can't really do a "title" for a note, its title is just the first few words that you write, so I wrote Grocery List. And you can, of course, use voice to text to add things as they pop into your head, while you have your phone handy. If I'm walking somewhere, I like to open the app and say to my phone "corn on the cob", as if I'm Captain Kirk or something.

But it gets even better.

Notes is a Cloud application, which means that you can use it on your desktop computer, your iPad, as well as your phone. So once you're comfortable using it on your phone, go ahead and use it on your other devices. When you think of something, type it into notes on your computer, or talk it into Notes on your iPad. And then when you're out shopping, the list is all there on your phone.

The latest release includes a checkbox feature, which is way cool. The trick to that is that you have to get it started on your desktop, you can't do that on your iPhone or iPad. But once you have a checkbox, each new line gets another checkbox. And as you go through the store, you can check things off.