This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should get a Smart Phone if you're elderly


If you're elderly, that is over 40 like me, you should get a Smart Phone. I resisted for a long time, and just got mine last year. And my resistance didn't have anything to do with technology. I like technology, it had to do with whether it was worth it to someone like me.

And by "someone like me", I meant someone who really didn't want to mess with a lot of nonsense, and just wanted to have a darn phone so that I could call my old cronies to go have coffee, that sort of thing. And for that, it's great. In fact, it's so easy I can hardly believe it. And when I see elderly people struggling with little tiny old flip phones, I just want to show them mine. It's BIG, it's colorful, the numbers are big - there are pictures. Really, Smart Phones remind me of the really simple toys that my little brother played with when he was a toddler. Play Skool, I think?

So if you're elderly and are thinking of getting a Smart Phone, this is how to do it:

• Go to Verizon and buy a basic iPhone. The most basic one is pretty expensive, and believe me, it's all you need. No, don't get anything else but an iPhone. Yes, they're expensive, but they're worth it, and so are you. Don't start getting involved with the different types of phones, or different plans. Tell them you want a basic iPhone with a basic plan to go with it. Don't let them try to do a "bait and switch" on you and sell you some junk. Just keep saying iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, and smile. I even had the nice young man pick out a case for mine and install it. The price tag for the phone will be insane - especially if you're like me and remember buying comic books for 12 cents. Luckily, the monthly plan is about the same as an old flip phone.

• Make some phone calls. The interface is amazingly clear, large, and colorful. Yes, it's about as "dumbed-down" as possible, but that's nice when all you want is to make a call.

So there you go. If someone starts talking about "apps" or anything else, just smile, cover your ears and hum. You can do as much, or as little of that as you want, later. Or not at all.