This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Avoiding rip-off prices on the internet


I don't consider myself the greatest expert in the world on the price of things, but today when I went to order some shaving cream online, which I usually buy in quantity, I was surprised. I may not know much, but I know that a can of ordinary shaving cream costs about two bucks. So seeing some of the prices, even on respectable sites, made me stop and go "hmmmm".

Since I sold on eBay and Amazon for several years, I know that sellers can write absolutely anything for the price. But hey, that's eBay and Amazon. Today I saw some crazy stuff at some otherwise respectable retailers.

It's November of 2015 and it looks like the motto now is "just write in any old number, people will pay it." I mean, $7.09 plus $2.95 shipping for a can of Barbasol shaving cream? The nine cents is a nice touch, as is the "no tax".

I like buying stuff online. I like the convenience, I like being one less car on the road, one less person out there in the mall, but hey, you gotta watch out. These bad guys are assuming that since you're online, you're in a real big hurry, or that you're stupid. Stay away from these places.

If you are a business, and are tempted to do this, say goodbye to your business. People on the 'net are savvy, and while you will cheat some people in the short run, in the long run it will catch up to you. Don't do it.