This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to be a public speaker like Joel Weldon


If you've ever seen Joel Weldon speak, you know that he is amazing. I've known Joel for over twenty years, and he has been as inspiration to me. In fact, I always wanted to be like him, and I'm still working on it.

For someone who is as charismatic on stage as Joel is, the question is always, "What is he like in real life?" And I can tell you, he's the same. That's him. Yes, in real life, his voice sounds the same, and he is just as cheerful, and charismatic. He is, of course, about eight feet tall, which is kind'a strange because I'm a little taller than he is, and I'm only 5' 10". But make no mistake, he is a gigantic personality, and also a genuine, and genuinely humble, man.

I know that Joel is a combination of the way that God made him, and what he built himself. I know that Joel wasn't always the charismatic motivational speaker you see now. And I'm not telling tales here, Joel readily admits that he got off to a slow start. I just love when he says that he was the part of the class that made the top part possible!

When I first started teaching, in the late '90s, my first thought was to be like Joel Weldon. So here is how you do it:

• Be enthusiastic about what you're presenting. I love Graphic Design, and Adobe software, so my enthusiasm about what I present is genuine. Enthusiasm will carry you a long way.

• Be prepared. Yeah, you're always gonna be nervous before a presentation, but being as prepared as possible will not only make you feel better, it will make your presentation better. Good speakers don't "wing it", they don't stumble around and get lost and waste everyone's time. They prepare, they practice, they rehearse, and then they present.

• Smile. Yeah, I know that Joel has about a thousand more teeth than I do, but at least I can try. Joel is always smiling - he must have super smile muscles. And you can even hear the smile when he talks on the phone.

It's been many years since I've been in front of an audience, and just thinking about it right now kind'a gives me butterflies. But I just think of what Joel says about that, "You can't get rid of the butterflies, but you can make them fly in formation!"

More about Joel Weldon from his website