This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to get people to read your blog posts


I read blog posts all of the time. And I'm typical of most people - I don't follow them , I just Google something like "what is the best doggy treat for dachshunds?" and when I find something that looks interesting, that isn't obviously commercial, I click on it, and give the blog post a look. That's how your audience works. And this is how to attract readers:

• Write a headline that will make sense in a Google search. If the headline for your blog post is "What I know about stuff", there really isn't much that the Google bots can get ahold of to index it. It may be the best-written blog post in the world, but if people can't find it on Google, then it's pretty much invisible.

• Share it on Google+. I know what you're thinking, no one is on Google+. Well, a few people are, but that's not the important thing. Sharing it on your Google+ pages give your blog post a better chance of being indexed in Google. The Google bots pay attention to Google+. And Google is where people search.

• Get to the point. If someone is interested enough to click a Google link to your blog post, tell them what they want to know. If you go on and on, blah, blah blah, your page will just look TLDR - Too Long, Didn't Read, and people will click away as fast as they can.

• Say something useful. Making people believe what you're gonna say will blow their mind, and giving them nothing, is just a waste. No one want to land on a page like that, and they certainly aren't going to stay there and read it.

• Have some visuals. But don't steal images from the web. I use my cartoons mostly. I have the copyright on them, so I can use them.

If you're new to blogging, then go ahead and be boring and do a lot of ranting. Get it out of your system. Then sit down and write something useful, and interesting. People will find it, and read it.