This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


The advantages, and disadvantages of being a high achiever


I've known a lot of high achievers in my life. As a teacher, I would see them shining like diamonds among the lumps of coal. They were the leaders, the brave ones who would try new things and succeed. I would usually have at least one per class, sometimes several. And I know what you're thinking, what about the rest of the class? And that brings me to talking about disadvantages of being a high achiever.

Do the math. If you're in the top ten percent, of your class, the vast majority of people aren't. Let me see, I'm not very good at math, but that would mean that 90% of the people are the part of the class that makes the top part possible. So while you go reaching for high achievement, take a moment to think of the people around you.

Now, I'm not advising you to be a slacker, just so your friends will like you. If you have been blessed with abilities that can make you a high achiever, then by all means, go for it. If you're seven feet tall, go out for the basketball team. It would be a waste of your gifts not to.

Superstars like you have a choice. They can continue to soar to great heights, and leave everyone behind, or they can stay connected. And we all know what happens to superstars who become disconnected from the rest of the world - they become weird. I could give examples of high achievers who have found wealth, glory and fame and have turned their world into a nightmare, but I'm sure that you can think of more than I can.

So this is what you should do as a high achiever:

• Find something that you're NOT good at, and try it. This will be not only a lesson in humility, it will show you that outside of your field of expertise, you ain't no big deal. Learn a foreign language, learn something that is totally outside of your experience. You will suddenly see superstars where before you really saw nothing.

• Don't get mad, give back. Superstars tend to anger easily at people who are "too stupid to understand." But here's a thought, instead of going on a rant, become a teacher, write a blog, share.

With each new thing that you learn, superstars will appear, like diamonds.