This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


The difference between Followers and Friends in social media


If you're like most people who use social media, you are familiar with the concept of friends on Facebook. That is, if someone wants to see what you post in their News Feed, they send a friend request to you, and you have to answer it, and then you see their stuff in your News Feed, too. Followers are different, and it's why I prefer Google+.

Just like on my Facebook page, my Google+ posts are all public. I don't put stuff out there on the web that I don't want people to know about me. My life is an open book - yes, I like dachshunds! I also write about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartooning, stuff like that.

So if someone wants to see my stuff show up in their Google+ News Feed, they click "follow". And it's done. My posts are now in their news feed. I don't have to respond, I don't have to friend them. I'm flattered that they want to follow me, I will check to see if they're some kind of a kook, but that's all. I have no obligation to follow them back.

I hope this helps. If you're used to being in front of an audience, having people follow you feels natural. They're your fans. They like watching you. If having an audience watch you just seems kind'a creepy, stick to Facebook, where the process is closer, more friendly. Personally, I like both. Sometimes I like to hang out with family and friends on Facebook, sometimes I want to talk about stuff that would never interest them, and I post on Google+. I have a larger fanbase there.