This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why people say that they're "crazy busy"


I've known a lot of people who always seem to say how "crazy busy" they are. In fact, some people start off right away with a list of things that they're doing, have to do, need to do, and are behind on doing. And if that's you, chances are that you don't know how to say "no".

As a professional, I would never dream of ever saying that I'm "crazy busy", except when I'm joking with friends (and they know I don't mean it). Certainly I'm never too busy for my clients, and my friends. But like everyone else, I only have 24 hours in a day. And that means that many times I have to say no.

If you're reluctant to say "no", and instead just tell people that you're crazy busy, and then stand there, waiting for them to figure it out, believe me, they will. You have just said no. Whether you say, "I'd like to, but things are just crazy busy right now..." or any other variation, you have said no. And there's nothing wrong with saying no, you can't be everywhere all of the time, and you only have two hands. So here's what I suggest, learn to say "no", and put away "crazy busy".

So this is how you do it:

• Evaluate requests. If someone asks you to do something, and you can do it, just say yes, and do it. If you can't, say "I'm sorry, no, I can't" and then explain why and give other options. If someone wants me to design a website today, sorry, I can't. It just takes longer than that, and I have previous obligations, not because I'm "crazy busy". But I can do it for you on a different time frame.

• Give a straight answer to a request. Telling someone that you don't have time to do something, instead of that it's just something you don't do, is just giving them the runaround. Just say "no". Say it in a polite way, of course, but don't leave people guessing.

So there you go. If you're finding that people keep bugging you all of the time no matter how much you insist you're "crazy busy", that's why. Learn to say "no" in a polite and straightforward manner. And when you say "yes", follow through, and do the job.