This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should stop using Save for Web in Photoshop


If you're like me, and have been using "Save for Web" in Photoshop for, like forever, the latest version of Photoshop (2015 Creative Cloud) still has it, but it's now under "Export", not "Save as" and it says "Legacy" next to it. And that means that you have been warned.

I have been using, and teaching, Adobe software since the '90s, and one thing I know is that there are always changes. In the past they've been very abrupt - a new version of software comes out, and suddenly it's as if everything has been moved around for no apparent reason. Nowadays I'm noticing subtle warnings. And "legacy" means that there is a function that they have kept around for people who can't, or won't adapt to change, but really, you should use the new function.

The new function is simply called "Export as". It opens a window that will allow you to save for web, or for a bunch of other things that will be happening in the future. I used it for the first time this morning, and it looked a lot like "Save for Web".

My career grew up with Adobe software. I was one of the young Graphic Designers who embraced the new technology. But many people just didn't. They wanted things to be the way that they always had been. Those people faded away, as I became more successful.

So this is what you should do: move forward. You will see a lot of people grumbling about the changes, and how things were better "back in the day". Let them complain. If you're a teacher, then try to get them to try the new stuff. That's mostly what I do. I've seen Adobe software get better and better over the years. But improvement means changes. When a new superhighway is built, it's time to get off the old road, and find a better way.