This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should get a dedicated E Reader


I upgraded to the latest Nook E Reader yesterday. My old one was just plain worn out, and it was just the latest of several generations of E Readers that I've been using for years. It's a dedicated E Reader, which means it's black-and-white, doesn't have a shiny colorful screen, and uses E Ink (yeah, it's really called that).

I've been boosting dedicated E Readers for a long time now. Of course, most people have never seen them, and their first response is that they can read on their tablet, or their phone. And you can, if you don't read much. I read a LOT.

If you've never seen a dedicated E Reader, you have to go see one in real life. I recommend stopping by your local Barnes and Noble (no, they don't pay me to say this) and picking one up. The first thing you'll notice is a complete lack of glare. Dedicated E Readers don't use shiny, reflective, LCD screens, they look more like paper. And that's the whole point. You don't have to twist them sideways to get a clear look at the page, you don't need to hold them in the shade like you do with your phone.

I had the manager of the Barnes and Noble where I went to yesterday help me set up my new Nook, which really was just entering my username and password, which of course I got wrong several times. Her eyes are younger than mine, and she was successful right away. And I couldn't resist trying to sell her one. Her response, of course, was that she had a tablet, which she used for other stuff, like surfing the web, checking email, and all of the other things that tablets do so well.

But it's a shame that so many people, and especially people like me (I'm over 40) completely resist dedicated E Readers. And I really can't blame them if they're never seen one, and someone is trying to get them to read a book on a shiny reflective screen. It's awful, and that type of screen is only useful for reading a few sentences, or at the most a few paragraphs. A dedicated E Reader is like reading a book on paper, and you can read for hours without eyestrain, which I do.

Excuse me, it's a beautiful day, and I'm going to sit outside and read for a while.