This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to change the size of your Smart Phone photo to 2048 in Photoshop


Like a lot of people, I love taking photos with my Smart Phone. And since I have Photoshop, I import the photos onto my computer and make sure that they're exactly right before I post them. And one of the most important things is to check the image size, and make sure it's 2048.

As of this writing, March of 2016, images that are 2048 or less are stored for free on Google photos. That is, they don't count against your free storage space. Since I've posted thousands of photos, especially on my Phoenix Historical Images page, if I didn't pay attention to that, I would have gone over the 15G quota a long time ago!

2048 is the maximum width of pixels allowed for free Google photos storage, and it's plenty big. In fact, just a couple of years ago, eBay insisted that photos be a minimum of 1600 pixels. So, for viewing on a computer (even a big one like my nice big iMac) 2048 is plenty big. Certainly it's big enough for a Smart Phone or a tablet.

To do to this, go to Image, and select Image Size. A box opens up (it's the one at the top of this post). Then change the largest number to 2048. I usually shoot photos as a square, so this isn't much of an issue. If you shoot photos wider, or narrower, or if you crop them, just be absolutely sure that constrain proportions is on (that's the thing that looks like a little paper clip between width and height), otherwise your image will be stretched.

So there you go. Take all the photos you want! Post them at 2048! They'll look great!