This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should blog, not comment


If you're inclined to disagree with someone, making a comment on their blog is certainly the easiest thing to do. It's also the least effective. Because no matter how intelligent your comment is, it's still a comment. You know, like a heckler. Or, if you prefer, a voice heard from the "peanut gallery".

So resist the urge to comment, if you hold an opposing viewpoint. Instead, take a deep breath and get up onto the podium yourself - write a blog.

The material for my blogs is often a rebuttal to someone who has written something I disagree with. But instead of being a voice in their "peanut gallery", I write a blog post. Yes, it's more work. In fact, it's a lot of work!

I have a very important self-imposed rule that I follow - I never mention another person in my blog. I would consider that a cheap shot. And that's not what I'm trying to do here. I'm not attacking people. Believe me, there are enough people out there who can cover the snarky comments, and the personal attacks! So, if I write about, for example, losing weight, I may have been inspired to do it by watching a particularly egregious YouTube video, but I'm not going to attack them, nor will I mention them (it would just improve their Google index, anyway). I do not attack people, I defend ideas. It's a subtle difference that's lost on a lot of people, unfortunately.

Everyone seems to want their voice to be heard, but very few people have the courage to stand up. I admire people who stand up, and I always wanted to grow up to be that person. I'm still working on it, and I recommend that you do, too.

Go get that blog started, and let your voice be heard!