This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to block offensive posts on Facebook without unfriending people, or blocking everything they write


Facebook is a place for friends, and I have a lot of them. They live all over the world, they are of different ages and cultures, and I enjoy seeing the world through their eyes. And since my Facebook profile is public, I will click to friend just about anyone who asks (unless they look really suspicious, and then no).

Once I've become friends with someone, I watch their posts in my news feed. If they're mostly posting picture of palm trees and cats, I enjoy it. If there's an occasional serious post that draws my attention to something that they consider important, I like seeing that, too. Life isn't all just palm trees and cats!

If a friend posts something that I personally find offensive (maybe a degrading meme about dachshunds!), I will hide that particular post. A lot of people don't know that when they simply "like" something, it shows up on their friend's news feed. So sometimes I get a lot of stuff I don't want to see, just because of that. The solution is to hide their post, and then hide the source (yes, there's a button there on Facebook). I don't hide all of their posts, until it reaches a point where I'm seeing waaayyyyy too much stuff that isn't the kind of thing I want to see. At that point, you remain friends with people, but you unfollow them.

Most of the time people who post a lot of ranting stuff that offends me personally don't even realize that I'm not seeing their stuff anymore. If I see them in real life, they may ask me if I saw that one thing they posted, and then I get caught.

So if your friends never seem to be commenting on, or liking, your posts, there's a good chance that they are either hiding your posts or have unfollowed you entirely. And it's a shame, because they really are your friends - they just don't want you to turn the Facebook party into a sales pitch, or a place to rant.