This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to promote yourself on Facebook


Facebook is a place for friends. It's not a place for spam, or selling me stuff. Please. If you're my friend I'd rather not see you use your friendship with me to turn my news feed into a 50% off sale, for a limited time only! Please. Please. Yes, I know it's tempting, but it's kinda like trying to sell life insurance to your relatives at Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone will wish you weren't there, and hopefully you won't be invited back.

That being said, if you have a business, I want to hear about it. Unless, of course, it's a business that, uh, you don't want people, in general, to know about. You're my friend, and I want to know about that book you're selling on Amazon, about the stuff you have on Etsy. Yes, you can mention it. Just don't grab me by the lapels and slap me in the face with it!

So post your website on Facebook. Or a link to your book on Amazon. There's no need to hide it, unless, of course, you really should (if you know what I mean). That's fine. And don't add it to every post you do, like "to follow the further adventures of my dog Bowser, click here..." No. No.

Self-promotion is a tricky thing, and if it's new to you, I understand. If you're not comfortable doing it, then don't do it. I started doing self-promotion when I started doing freelance work while I was going to college. I always carried business cards. I let people know that I was in business. When I started doing personal training of computer software, I would smile, hand people my card and say, "Would you like to start a new career in computer graphics?" - and people could say "No, I'm happy with my career" or "wow, I was just thinking that I'd like to learn Photoshop!" So, I put it out there, but didn't push it. I was proud of what I did, and loved to talk about it, if people wanted to hear it.

The best thing you can do is to create a blog. A blog is a great place to give out free samples, and people have the option of either looking at your stuff, or ignoring it. And all that shows up on your Facebook page is the headline of the blog, and a graphic (I like to use my cartoons). My Facebook friends can see my cartoons, and I know that they're pleased that I'm still cartooning, and if someone doesn't know that I do this, they can click on the link and read the blog. If they need to hire me, there's a link to my web page.

So, please don't try to sell me stuff as a friend of mine on Facebook. But you can promote yourself there. If you know the difference, do so.