This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Creating a narration YouTube video - step one - audio


A narration video is one that shows images with a voice talking in the background. Unfortunately, on YouTube someone usually just turns on the camera and starts talking while we look at their face, up their noses, inches away. If you're like most people, you hate that kind of stuff. And it's just because the person seems to be literally "in your face". I get distracted by their face, and if they have a nose ring (for example) or nose hair, or just about anything. If it's a video about applying makeup or lipstick I can understand having a great big face in the camera, but otherwise it's just annoying. I won't do that. But I would like to talk. If you'd like to do this, too, I'll tell you where I'm starting - with the audio.

• Record the audio. If you're like me, and have friends who have done audio recording, then listen to them. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who does voice work and has an actual recording studio, which is where I'm gonna start. I'll listen carefully to his coaching, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to do some passable audio myself later on with an app on my phone and a room with good acoustics (I understand that bathrooms are great for that).

• Edit the audio. I will also learn how to do basic audio editing. I have Adobe Creative Cloud here on my Mac, so there's gotta be an audio editing tool that I can learn. I will go with the recommendation of my friend.

I have already gathered up the images that I want to use and am mildly proficient in Premiere, which is where I plan to put it all together to make a video that I can upload to YouTube. Or maybe I'll use something else, I'm not gonna think about that right now. Step one is the audio. That's quite an art form, and I plan on learning what I can and doing the best I can do.

I'm told that I have a pleasing baritone voice. I grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota, so that's my accent. I'm sure my narration would sound better if I were David Attenborough, but I'm not. My goal is to sound natural and relaxed. The audio is where I'll start.