This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to tell if you want to be a teacher


I was never one of those people who wanted to be a teacher. When I started doing it, it was just a job. At first I just hated it, and as I got better I came to understand why people do this. And now I can recognize people who have the desire to be teachers.

Now waitaminute, I'm not saying that I can recognize people who want to wear sports coats with patches on the elbows, or hang out at the faculty lounge. I can recognize people who are aching to share what they know. It might be you. Let's see.

Here are some of things that indicate that someone wants to be a teacher:

• Teachers are interested in conflict. Someone who has a strong urge to "teach someone a lesson" (and I'm not kidding here) will get into fights, sometimes literally. At the very least they will argue.

• Teachers are interested in sharing their experiences. Teachers tell stories with a moral. When they tell a story there's always a lesson - be kind to animals, or whatever.

• Teachers like the sound of their own voice. They talk. A lot. They're poor with small talk because they want to share the story of how they once taught someone to be kind to animals.

Are you seeing teachers now?

I will always be a teacher. Nowadays I'm encouraging teachers, which I guess is the next level for me. The world needs teachers. They need people who won't turn their backs when things in the world are going wrong. They need people who will share, and teach lessons. They need people to speak up.

If you think that you may be a teacher, please do so. No, I don't recommend going and beating people up to "teach them a lesson", but do speak up. Find a place to do it. Write a blog, volunteer to teach things that you know, speak on subjects you care about. Get out of the comments section and stand up for something. Be a teacher.