This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to use the Voice Memos app on your iPhone


When I got my iPhone, long ago, I played with all of the apps, and the ones I didn't use went into a folder to stay out of the way. One of them was Voice Memos. I pondered it, and even recorded a couple of voice memos, and then immediately forgot about it, until this morning, when I needed to record a barking dog.

My neighbor's dog has been barking continuously since sunrise. It's now 9:30 am and I think I have the Voice Memo app figured out to my satisfaction. Since the city asked me, in a casual way, to record the barking, a few days ago when I called to ask them what I could do about it, since the dog has been barking, day and night for several weeks now, I've been pondering how to do it. There are a few steps. Here they are:

• Find the iPhone app "Voice Memos", and click the record button. You can rename the file on your phone from "New Recording" to "Barking Neighbor Dog", which is handy, because you're gonna listen to it on your desktop computer. Because, well, I can't go over to the city offices and have someone listen to my phone - I'll need to email the file, which is an .m4a file, by the way.

Plug your phone into your computer and sync to iTunes. If you've ever synced an iPod, it's the same thing.

Unfortunately, finding the file on your computer is more difficult than searching for "Barking Neighbor Dog". For reasons only known to the people who design this stuff, although the "Barking Neighbor Dog" shows up in iTunes, the finder can't find it. You will need to do some digging on your computer. Luckily, it will be in a folder called "Voice Memos". Oddly enough, the name was 20150529 081704.m4a. So I copied 20150529 081704.m4a into another folder and renamed it "Barking Neighbor Dog".

Now I have the file, and can find it easily. I can email it, or I can bring it into another program, like Premiere, if I want to. Since I'm a computer geek, and a Mac guy, I know that a lot of people will have computers that won't play a particular file. If necessary I'll bring it into a video and upload it to YouTube. Everyone can play something on YouTube.

It's interesting to me that once I get into a challenge, I enjoy it. Before this project, I had no interest in using the app and figuring out how to do the file management. When I'm done, I'll know. And hopefully the neighbor dog will stop barking by then!

By the way, don't get me wrong. I love dogs, and I have one myself that barks every once in a while. The sound of barking dogs is just part of the music of living in suburbia! But the dog I'm listening to right now is doing a crying bark - it's left outside, alone, in the cold, and it deserves better than that kind of treatment. Hopefully I can help. I've contacted the city, and they're sending me instructions on what exactly to do. And now I've made the recording, which is part of the process. I'll let you know how it goes.