This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


A trick to stop the annoying hot on Google and Trending posts as much as possible - Block Profile


If you've been seeing a lot of the annoying "Hot on Google+" and "Trending.." posts lately, the bad news is that there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them with settings. I just spent a long time trying to research it (December 10th, 2016) and while the help menu tells you how you could have done it with the previous version of Google+, there's nothing on the current version. I guess they're trying to get more interest sparked, or something. I'm sure they mean well! But I kept seeing the same stuff over and over, one of which was a poem about women that was nothing but an excuse to show scantily-clad female bodies. The "report abuse" button doesn't seem to work, and really it's not abuse, or against community standards, I just don't want to see these posts. And there is a way to do it, but there's a trick to it, and it's very carefully hidden.

Block Profile

No, it's not in settings. To do it, you have to click on the profile of the post you don't want to see, and block their profile. It's hidden under a drop-down menu of three dots next to About, and you select Block Profile. Seems kinda harsh, because once people figure this one out, the person whose posts are hot or trending will get a lot of blocks. I figure that I'm not the only one who has figured this out, and shared this information. Please do share this. I give this information out freely, without copyright, etc., so copy, paste, anything. Just please lets see if we can stop this! I like Google+ and would like continue using it.

So there you go. I've also blocked a profile that posts inane animal memes, and something else that was annoying me from the same profile, over and over in my stream. Hopefully Google+ will see this, and either stop doing this to their remaining loyal members (of which there are less and less all of the time) or allow it to be turned off in settings.

Let me know if this works for you!

Update a few minutes later: I blocked about four or five profiles, and muted other posts that weren't quite as annoying, and it really cleaned things up for me! You have to refresh the page to see the effect, but it seems to be working!