This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should, and shouldn't, support web creators on Patreon


Like most people, I love that the content on the web is free. I click away very quickly from sites that want me to subscribe, I even click away very quickly if they even want me to "answer a few quick questions". I've been surfing the web since the late '90s, and it's not supposed to be like that. I dislike toll booths, and parking meters, and Knights that say, "Thou Shalt Not Pass!"

But I like to be supportive, especially of artists that I care about. I'm not a "deep pockets" kind of guy, but I can buy a DVD from a local band, I can purchase a print from an artist whose work I like. Yeah, it doesn't exactly make me Dale Carnegie, or Lorenzo de'Medici, but I like the idea of supporting artists. And to me that's very different than giving my hard-earning cash to someone who is demanding money from me.

So I like the new idea that Patreon has for supporting web creators. I know that there's a setting that allows people to "pay per creation", but that really doesn't appeal to me. I like donating monthly. I like supporting the creator, not the creation. The person, not the thing.

I signed up for Patreon, which allows people to donate to me for my History Adventuring blog and videos. Everything I do is still free, there's no "toll booth", and supporting me on Patreon is strictly voluntary, and if that doesn't appeal to you, I understand. People have said to me "why would they pay for something they're getting for free?" And it's not a very good marketing strategy for a commercial artist. Commercial artists should charge for their work, and get paid a fair price for what they do. I'm a Commercial artist, and I charge a rate for my Graphic Design, and my cartoons. But on Patreon, I'm a street performer, if you understand what I mean.

Patreon is a way for someone to throw some coins in my hat, to show appreciation for what I've done, and to encourage me to go on doing it. If you're the kind of person who likes to do more than say "thank you" and "like" for someone's effort, it's kinda cool.

There always have been, and there will always be, people like me who love to throw stuff out there for free. We're flattered that you even listen to us. And if put some coins in the hat, it has a meaning that really speaks to us.

Thank you for supporting History Adventuring on Patreon!