This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should create a Facebook business page


Like most people, I prefer that my friends not be selling stuff when I visit my Facebook page. I've often said that it's like going to a party with friends and family, and suddenly Uncle Bob decides to start giving a sales pitch to me for life insurance at the dinner table. Not cool.

But there are a lot of people who are in business. Good people who would never dream of doing a "sales pitch" while at a party with their friends. And I'm one of those people.




I do Graphic Design, vector art, and cartoons. And I've been doing it, as a freelancer, since I was 19. I designed my "Brad Hall Art" logo while I was studying Graphic Design at ASU, and have used it continuously since then. I've done all kinds of Graphic Design, web design, vector art (which is created in Adobe Illustrator), but most of my freelance work has been drawing cartoons, and there are some clients of mine who have relied on me for over 30 years. I don't do web design anymore, except for my clients whose web sites I support, and mostly nowadays I'm doing cartoons, which I love to do. I don't resell my cartoons, I do custom work to specifications for a particular client, and when I'm done they can use the cartoons any way that they like. After that I just use them to promote my business.

An ad for my business using a cartoon that I did for a client years ago.

On the web, I'm a big believer in exposure. I've had my web page, BradHallArt.com, for over sixteen years now, and it's part of who I am. If you Google "Bradhallart", you'll see pages of my stuff, from years and years. I taught Graphic Design and Illustration at the Art Institute of Phoenix, and Glendale Community College. I've helped my clients get their businesses on the web, doing SEO (Search Engine Optimization) consulting. And one thing I know about promoting your business on the web is that it's always changing. But the core value stays the same - have a reputable business, present it with pride, be up front and honest, and let people know that your business is as good as you are.

So, if you're thinking about doing a Facebook business page, do it. Present your best face to the world of Facebook, just like anywhere else. Consider it part of your advertising budget (although it's free) in terms of time to create it, update it, and maintain it. This is the place to talk about your business, your latest projects, that sort of thing. You shouldn't do it on your personal Facebook page, the same way that you shouldn't be doing a sales pitch at the dinner table. Sure, it's OK to tell people about your business at the dinner table, but then give them a business card, or better yet tell them you have a Facebook business page.

Here is my new Facebook business page for Bradhallart.

At the top of this post: Cartoon for Beverly Hills Storage, a freelance job that I did when I was living in California in the 1980s. Then it was pen-and-ink, now it's Adobe Illustrator, but it's still just a cartoon.