This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you should, or shouldn't, buy a new computer


Even though I spend a lot of time on a computer, and I've made my living on a computer, I'm not really "into" computers. I'm happy to use one, and I like how much they do, but I don't subscribe to magazines about computers, I don't sit around talking about how they work, or how much Giganoodles they have. I will if I have to, but really all I want from a computer is something that I can work on. I do Graphic Design and vector art, so I need a computer that's powerful enough to run Adobe software, like Illustrator and Photoshop, so I've always had a Mac.

I bought the one I'm typing on right now yesterday, and the process is something that just requires patience, and to follow the steps. Like any serious Mac user, I use Time Machine, so the process now is just to plug the portable hard drive (with the Time Machine backup on it) in the new computer with a USB cable, and it migrates all of the stuff over (yes, they call it "migration"). It took several hours for all of it to happen, and in that time period you have to answer yes or no, or click buttons, and put in passwords. I really don't know how long the entire process took, because I had come to a point last night where I could see it was going to just copy stuff over, and I went to bed. This morning I clicked a few more times, and I'm back in business.

The new screen is brilliant, and of course the computer is more powerful and faster. I'm still launching stuff, and Photoshop and Illustrator are still sluggish, so I'll probably get in touch with Adobe to see if I need to tweak something. If you don't use these programs, you really don't need to worry about them.

This computer is my major cost of doing business as a Graphic Designer, and it's also something that I use to enrich my life, and to connect with friends. So it's not just a computer, it's a lifeline. It's the first thing I look at when I wake up in the morning, and it's the last thing I look at at night. So I invest in a good computer. It's a basic iMac, with the upgraded screen, and it's fine for me. There are new "bells and whistles" which I may or may not use, and of course it's brand new.

If you're tempted to buy a new computer, you may be wise to hesitate. Even with everything made as easy as possible by the nice people at Apple, it's still a hassle. I had noticed that my old computer was really bogging down, and besides I'm supposed to be a "state-of-the-art" kinda guy, so I went ahead and did it. If someone sets up your new computer for you, I suggest that you thank them profusely. It's not as difficult to do as "back in the day", but it's an annoying task.