This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Using Patreon correctly


I first heard about Patreon while watching SciShow on YouTube. At the end of every video, thanks are given to Patreon patrons, helping them for the support. So I got curious. I like SciShow a lot and I figured that a lot of people, like me, would like to do their little bit to help.

If you're curious about Patreon, I recommend that you go look at it. No, it's not a "get rich quick scheme", and it's not crowd funding. There are already plenty of those things out there. Patreon is a way to show support for someone who creates something on the web, and gives it away for free. You pledge a dollar amount that is given to the creator monthly.

And then you may wonder why anyone would give money to someone if they're giving away stuff for free? And that's the key to understanding Patreon - it's not a place to do commercial work, it's a place for what I call hobbyists.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down hobbyists. There are some awesome hobbyists out there, doing incredible stuff. My hobby is collecting old photos of Phoenix and writing about the history of Phoenix, so I put my hobby there. My profession is as a Graphic Designer, and I'm a pro, so I have a website, and I conduct it like a business (which it is). And my hobby of collecting photos of Phoenix is something that I've been doing for a long time, and I do it for the love of it, and people have often asked me how they could help.

As of this writing, I support SciShow, Ask Dr Jo, and Healthcare Triage on Patreon. I've been enjoying their stuff for a long time, and I just feel like I want to kick in a little bit to show my support. I'll have to admit a slightly selfish reason that I encourage people to donate on Patreon is because I really, really, hate internet ads. But creating content on the web costs money, so a lot of creators are tempted into making a mess of what would otherwise be an enjoyable experience by allowing a lot of ads.

So, if you're doing something awesome, and like showing it off on the web, whether it's your drawings, your blog, or creating a city out of Legos, then by all means do so. You may find that people like your stuff, and would like to see more. So create a Patreon page, and allow people to donate as little, or as much, as they want. My Patreon page, which is Phoenix History Adventuring, is free to the public, and I've recently added some bonus material for patrons who pledge over a certain level. Because it's nice to show appreciation for appreciation, if you know what I mean.

I hope this helps. See you on Patreon!