This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


The confusing world of Google Adsense


I've had Google Adsense on my blogs for many years now, and every once in a while I try to figure it out, and it makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm sure that there are big-brained people out there who can understand, but it ain't me.

So at the beginning of this year I stopped allowing Adsense. Then I put it back just a few days ago. And I still don't understand it. If you do, please don't try to explain it to me, it gives me a headache. What it comes down to is that it makes Google a huge amount of money, and gives creators, like me, pennies.

So I will be looking at Adsense as just another thing that I enjoy experimenting with. If you got into it, thinking that it would make you rich, well, I doubt it. Maybe many years ago, before all of it was refined, creators could make good money on Adsense, but not now. So you may be wondering "why bother?"

Well, it's really no bother. Nowadays on this blog all I have to do is to click "allow ads", and the rest is done by Google. In the old days you had to select the ad size, select the placement, select the type (never did figure out what a "dynamic" ad is, and I don't really care). So it's pretty easy. I don't have to do anything at all. I can, if I want to, check my earnings (Adsense creators call it "watching the pennies drop"), but it's not absolutely necessary.

The flip side of all of this is Google AdWords. That's the side that advertisers pay for, and although I'm curious about it, I'm not ready to spend real money to find out. It's done with Cost-Per-Click, divided by the number per 1,000 of, uh, I have no idea. But it's wildly complex. Advertisers are using it, I know, because they know that they have to get their message in front of what people are looking at, and nowadays it's the web, not newspapers.

I've been on Adsense for many years, but I'm still too late for the "glory days" when creators could make some serious bucks doing it. But I enjoy learning about it, and am fascinated with the process.