This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Motivational speakers and the power of positive thinking


If you've ever tried to be successful at anything, whether it's a business venture, or sports, or well, anything, you have probably been inspired by a motivational speaker.

My client Joel Weldon is one of the very best in the world. I've known him for over thirty years and, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I'm one of his disciples. I took what he taught and not only built my own road to success, I shared it with everyone who would listen to me, as a Marketing Consultant, and as a Graphic Design teacher.

You don't have to listen to who I recommend, but please do find someone whose words can inspire and motivate you. There are a LOT of people out there whose voices can break through the noise of all of the people who say it can't be done, that you should give up, that you'll never make it.

"Success come in cans, not in cannots"

Joel's motto is "Success comes in cans, not in cannots". His business card is a can that says that. And yes, like all motivational speakers, it always sounds a little corny. One of my favorite phrases is "have an attitude of gratitude". I've said it to people who were grumbling, and I've said it in a slightly silly way (because it's a funny phrase to say) but it's very meaningful.

When I started teaching, in the late 1990s, I would write, "You can do this!" at the bottom of every syllabus I wrote. And I meant it. Yeah, I know, corny. But I've seen people do great things simply because they believed that they could do it. If they got knocked down, they got back up again.

I've had a lot of motivational speakers in my life, coaches, teachers, friends. Speaking for myself, I can never get enough of hearing that I can do this. I'm not motivated by people who tell me that it can't be done (I really need to stay away from those kinds of people). I've known people that I've called "unrealistically optimistic" and they have often amazed me that they have been right. I'd like to be one of those people, and I'm working on it. The road to success is always under construction.