This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What to do about stupid comments on a Facebook group page


If you manage a Facebook group page, there will be stupid comments. That's as obvious as saying that the sun comes up every morning. And wishing that it wouldn't happen is just unrealistic. In order to deal with it, you have to accept that disruptive behavior is something that we all enjoy.

For me, my heyday for this was when I was about twelve or thirteen and would get on a city bus with my best friend and we would try to annoy the grownups as much as possible by talking loudly to each other, just saying random stuff. My mom told me that in her day she and her friends would pick up the "tele-phone", call a store and ask if they had Prince Albert in the Can. When the clerk said yes, they were told that they should let him out, or he would suffocate! Prince Albert was a type of tobacco that was sold in cans, a long, long, time ago.

My point here is that stupid comments can be a lot of fun, and help break up the monotony of life. And life can be very dull for a lot of people. And it's part of human nature, and it doesn't mean that a person is awful. Usually they're just bored.

I have mixed feelings about stupid comments on my Facebook group page. Sometimes they are so stupid that I really wonder if they're kidding. Or maybe they're making comments while under the influence of something?

Stupid comments should never be confused with comments that show ignorance. I'm very ignorant of a lot of things, and I have a desire to learn, so I often ask questions that show my lack of knowledge. Arguably you could call my questions stupid comments, but that's not what I mean by stupid comments. So if I see a comment that looks stupid, I always give the benefit of the doubt. I like having my questions answered, and I answer questions to the best of my abilities. To me, that's what a teacher does, and everyone who has knowledge is a teacher to me.

Of course, the answer to how to deal with stupid comments I learned back when I was 13. The grown-ups ignored me, and were just relieved when I got off the bus. If someone had tried to engage me, by trying to tell me how to behave, it would have just added to my fun. Being ignored was the worst thing that could happen to me.

So that's what you do. Don't reply to stupid comments, just delete them. If you're afraid that someone might take offense at having their stupid comment deleted, think twice before you delete it. Are they just trying to be funny? Or maybe they're agreeing with you, but in a goofy way? Sarcasm and irony don't work well on the web, just as they don't work well with any group of people who may not know each other very well. But if you're sure that it's a stupid comment, hit the delete button and it goes away. I'm kinda thinking the people on the bus when I was a kid would have liked to have had a delete button for me!

Image at the top of this post: the Facebook group that I manage Phoenix, Arizona Historical Images