This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you shouldn't post on Facebook if you don't want to be criticized


Facebook is a lot of fun, but by its nature it's a place where people criticize. It's not the fault of your friends, it's just how it turns out to be the way that people naturally use Facebook. If you post a photo of a beautiful sunset, someone will notice that one of the palm trees has a funny shape. If you post a photo of some clouds, someone will argue that the clouds in their home town are better. That's because Facebook is designed for commenting, and often people don't know what else to say except a criticism, or something snarky. It can be frustrating, but I have the solution: Instagram.

If you haven't used Instagram yet, try it. It really is the best "ta-da" sharing images app out there. Yes, comments are allowed, but they're rarely used. Mostly you'll get the equivalent of a Facebook "like" which is an Instagram "heart". Take a photo of your dog, post it on Instagram, and you'll get hearts. Post it on Facebook and you'll get a criticism of the color or shape of your dog's collar, or that the fence in the background needs paint. That's just the way it is.

I've been posting on both places for a long time now, and have found Facebook a wonderful place for critiques, and advice. I am in several groups, and if I post a photo of a plant of mine that has something strange going on with the leaves, a Facebook comment will help. If I just want to post a beautiful "ta-da" photo of my garden, it's better on Instagram.

If it seems strange to you that I don't necessarily always want criticism, it's because there are many instances in my life where I'd really just appreciate an "atta boy". I found that on Instagram, and it feels good.